William B. Miller, Jr, M.D.
Evolutionary Biologist – Leading proponent of Cognition-Based Evolution ( CBE) and Extended Hologenomic Evolution Theory.
Expert on the Microbiome and Infectious Disease – Industry and Health Consultant.
Physician in active medical practice for 30 years.
Cognition-Based Evolution (CBE) offers a comprehensive alternative to the current belief that natural selection controls evolution. Recent research indicates that all organisms that can be seen with our eyes are an intimate collaboration of our innate cells and a vast co-habitating microbiome. Therefore, evolution must be appraised from within those crucial cellular terms.
My expertise in the microbiome and extensive medical training have led to a novel and academically sound approach to evolutionary development which also has broad implications for medical research and personal health.
The study of evolution and health should proceed through a framework that emphasizes our essential partnership with microbes and the immunological rules that govern those relationships.
Establish Cognition Based Evolution as a correction to the preponderant Darwinian selection-biased evolutionary narrative.
Advance research in the microbiome and in those patterns of microbial cooperation that lead to infectious diseases. This is the crucial common denominator for our own health and its proper understanding is critical to our stewardship of our planet.
Areas of expertise:
- Evolutionary Biology.
- Cognition-Based Evolution
- Cellular/microbial cognition.
- The microbiome and its implications for health and disease
- Prebiotics/probiotics/synbiotics as microbial treatments for a large number of acute and chronic human diseases.
- Expert opinion: evolution, the microbiome and its medical applications, infectious disease, dynamics, prebiotics, probiotics, synbiotics
- Academic or general public lectures
- Industry spokesperson
- Current industry consultation: Scientific Advisor to Prebiotin.com.
- Miller, W.B. Cognition, Information Fields and Hologenomic Entanglement: Evolution in Light and Shadow. Biology 2016, 5, 21.
- Miller WB Jr. (2016) The Eukaryotic Microbiome: Origins and Implications for Fetal and Neonatal Life. Front. Pediatr. 4:96. doi: 10.3389/fped.2016.00096
- Miller WB, Torday JS. A systematic approach to cancer: evolution beyond selection. Clinical and Translational Medicine. 2017 Jan 3;6(1):2. DOI: 10.1186/s40169-016-0131-4
- Torday JS, Miller WB. The unicellular state as a point source in a quantum biological system. Biology. 2016 May 27;5(2):25.
- Torday JS, Miller WB. Man is integral with nature. Minding Nature. 2015. 8: 1.
- Hunt T. The Microcosm within: An interview with William B. Miller, Jr., on the Extended Hologenome theory of evolution. Communicative & integrative biology. 2015 May 4;8(3):e1000711.
- Torday, J. S., & Miller, W. B. (2016). Biologic relativity: Who is the observer and what is observed?.
- Progress in biophysics and molecular biology, 121(1), 29-34.
- Torday, J. S., & Miller Jr, W. B. (2016). On the evolution of the mammalian brain. Frontiers in systems neuroscience, 10.doi: 10.3390/biology5030030
- Torday JS, Miller WB. Life is determined by its environment International Journal of Astrobiology -1:1-6 January 2016 DOI: 10.1017/S1473550415000567
- Torday JS, Miller WB. A Systems Approach to Physiologic Evolution: From Micelles to Consciousness. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 2017 Jan 1.
Non-academic publications and interviews (partial listing)
Previous Professional Experience
Asst. Clinical Professor in Diagnostic Radiology- Pennsylvania State University-Hershey Medical Center- 1979-1989
Private medical practice for thirty years.
Northwestern University Honors program in Medicine with BS/MD in medicine in 1974
Internship:General Surgery, Barnes Hospital, 1975
Diagnostic Radiology Residency: Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, 1976-1979.
Board certified Diagnostic Radiology, 1979.
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society- 1974.
Follow me on Twitter @BillMillerMD (Author of The Microcosm Within: Evolution and Extinction in the Hologenome) to stay up to date on our newest posts and latest research and developments.
New research is revealing an enormous amount of information that permits a conclusive alternative theory to Darwinism. Compared to decades ago, we now know that all cells and microbes have basal cognition Our blog is a journey through this new alternative theory of evolution. Learn more about Cognition Based Evolution Theory here: http://www.themicrocosmwithin.com/blog/
William B. Miller, Jr., M.D. is the author of the book, “The Microcosm Within: Evolution and Extinction in the Hologenome”. This work offers a complete alternative theory of evolution. Instead of the Darwinian belief in random genetic mutations and natural selection, Dr. Miller insists that evolution can only be properly understood through an approach that emphasizes an essential self-referential capacity that has defined all living things from its origin forward. All living entities use of information for communication, for collaboration, and to compete. All such actions are directed towards problem-solving to attain or sustain preferential conditions. This is as true of cells and microbes as of ourselves. To learn more, click here: http://www.themicrocosmwithin.com/
If you would like to contact me, fill out my contact form or email me at